Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013


Preparing for a tournament 

Pre-tournament travel list
One of the most important things to do is make a list. No one wants to forget something as important as a wallet or simple as a toothbrush. They are both important, but the toothbrush can be purchased at most stores. I include in my list the items that most people would not consider like rods, reels, tackle as they are a given. One day I forgot to bring my hooks. Made for a long day.

Peace of Mind
            I have noticed in my experience fishing tournaments the the drive to a location can be the most peaceful and mind clearing experience. I try and forget about everything that is back home (except family). The items I definitely forget are work issues, finances, and drum roll please, what I forgot. Yes even though I have made a list, there is always something I forget.

Pre-fishing
            The average tournament fisherman believes pre-fishing is done only on the water. WRONG. In fact, a lot of tournaments are prepared for months in advance. Thank you momma technology. Do your research prior to getting to the water, it can cut hours off your fish finding adventure. Once you find the fish don’t over catch them, save them for the tournament. Take notes on method, depth, water temp, and any other item your deem important. Once you find the fish, look for other places that have the same similarities.

Mind your business
            Don’t be afraid to talk to people, but remember that they are your competitors. Most people will not be forth coming if they are on the winning pattern. Then again they probably won’t admit that they are having a tough time. Could that be an ego thing? Not with fisher people.

Tournament
            Put everything to use. If things you plan for don’t pan out, relax deep breath and revert to your instincts. Don’t ever underestimate them. They can make your day and possibly a winner.

In future articles I will go into depth with these topics

No comments:

Post a Comment